Yippee!! Our US Consulate appointment was today at 10am. The experience was much quicker and less overwhelming this time around. They made the groups smaller - only about 8 families total. Since we were able to put Jack's English name on his passport in this province, we shouldn't have to mess around with the social security office when we get home. Whoohoo! One less piece of paperwork for me to have to mess with! You can't take cameras or cellphones into the Consulate office so we don't have pictures of the process, but have one next to the sign instead.
Went to a "street" vendor (more of a local counter service) today for lunch w/ John, Patrick, and Benjamin. We managed to order 3 bowls of wonton and noodle soup and some other vegetable (I think it was steamed lettuce) for 45 RMB - $7. John had an ordering snafu and ended up w/ 2 bowls of wonton soup and 2 bowls of fish ball noodles. As a result, we all got to try fish balls. Reminded me of a hot dog. Smashed together meat that you're better off not fully understanding. Taste was okay - a bit bland and fishy. The after taste I'm experiencing now - 5 hrs later - is an unexpected side affect that I could live without.
We've spent the afternoon packing (well, I have - John napped and Jack watched TV - which is okay because they both stayed out of my way). I think we can get it in 3 suitcases, 2 backpacks, and 2 smaller carry-on bags Jack and I have "essentials" packed in. Tomorrow will be the deciding factor as we pack up our bathroom stuff. Are we under the 50lb weight limit?
I think we're missing 1 gift - need something more for Carter. Going to ask him when he wakes up if there's something he wants. Seems like we've bought more for the girls eventhough I know he has stuff. We have Friday morning to go get something if we need it. Catching the bus at 3pm and train at 4:50pm! Hong Kong bound tomorrow!! Home on Saturday!
Hope you found something for Carter!!!
ReplyDelete