So, Gotcha Day is here. Unfortunately, we don't actually get Jack until around 4pm. UGH! Meeting our guide around 12pm to go to the bank and get a short walking tour around the hotel. We're in a completely different part of the city than we were before. Shaiman Island is about 20 minutes away. The White Swan is under renovation. Veronica (our guide) said they expect it to open next year, but don't expect them to accept as many adoptive families. They're apparently making the rooms larger and going to try to appeal to more dignitaries. Now that the US Consulate is no longer there, I guess it makes sense. The place for Jack's medical exams has moved too. Veronica thought we should be able to go back to the island at least once for a visit. Many of the shops that were there have closed, but Lucy's is still open. I REALLY liked eating there last time. Lots of western food at good prices.
We're in a much noisier section of the city. They sure like their horns here!! Forgot about that until we were waiting on the car at the airport. Looking forward to getting outside. There's a park across the street. Might be frequent visitors throughout our trip! A 24 hr McDonald's is next door too, and I saw a Starbucks sign. Hmmm....
Housekeeping set up a crib in our room by mistake. Hope they remove it today. Jack might get a little offended. :) The Marriott that we're in is pretty nice. Huge buffet for breakfast, but thank goodness it's included - $50 for breakfast for 2. Ouch! Not sure what the hotel lunch prices will be. Hopefully less expensive, or we will have to find other options. Can you tell where my brain is right now - money and food!
Looking forward to trying to find good bargins on clothes - particularly shoes. Jack needs some, and I would love to find some cute flats. Until the docs figure out what's wrong w/ my foot, that's all I can wear, and my selection is limited. May need an extra suitcase just for momma's shopping!
Loving the Marriott rewards card - free wifi!! John's got us set up w/ the VPN to home for updating the blog and facebook. Wonder if we'll have a free night or two by the time we're all done? Not sure what 12 nights gets you. Got to finally talk to the kids last night via Skype which was cool! We're hoping to visit w/ them again tonight (their Monday morning) after we get Jack.
Well, I should be going. Gonna go check out the hotel and meet up w/ our guide.
So excited to hear about your trip. I loved being in Guangzhou the entire time. Prayers for a great gotcha day!! Are you going to go visit Jack's SWI?
ReplyDeleteWe stayed at the Marriott too. The dinner downstairs is good (food street was the name I believe) but DO NOT order the drinks. They charge five dollars for soda :). The Starbucks is actually connected to the hotel which is nice. I miss it!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I'm full of nervous energy for you! So excited to hear more! Thank you for sharing your adventure here!!!
ReplyDelete