What a wonderful Gotcha Day! When we arrived at the Civil Affairs office, it was around 2:30pm, and the place was a mad house! Families everywhere. There were at least 2 other adoption agencies there at the same time, and they each had several families. There was a room in the back of the main greeting area where the children were all waiting. Jack recognized us right away and was waving and blowing kisses at us. They had to keep directing him away from the door and then finally they brought him out to meet us.
He came out carrying several bags. One was the backpack we sent him in a care package that contained all of the care package items,and it had his flute attached to it. It also has 3 cameras that I need to get developed, the photo album we sent with additional pictures from his foster family, and a USB flash drive w/ pictures from a dress up day at school. Another bag had a pair of shoes and a new outfit from the orphanage. Unfortunately, upon inspection in the hotel, the outfit is way too small so I gave it to Jennifer who adopted a 3 yr old from the same orphanage. The shoes fit though which was great! The 3rd bag is a gift for NanRae from her foster family. She is one of Jack's friends who lives in Chicago. I will need to call her mom when I get home to mail it to her.
We keep asking if we can see Jack's foster family when we visit Shenzhen on Friday. Thus far, the response had been pretty bleak as it doesn't sound like the government encourages reunions because it may be too hard on the children. BUT, the social worker at the orphanage told me that the foster family is looking forward to meeting us and that they have gifts for us. She said she would contact them and help make arrangements. YIPPEE!!! Now, we just wait until Friday and make it all happen!
We bought Jack an IPod Touch before we left. Great debate over that or a DS, but the IPod won out due to more versatility. GREAT purchase. John downloaded a translation app and loaded it on both of our phones and his IPod. He can write in Chinese, and we can write in English. It hasn't been perfect, but it sure has been helpful!
Two medical "concerns" we will need to watch for while here - car sickness and eating cold foods. Car sickness makes some sense as we had read about it previously since they don't spend a lot of time in cars. I found a ginger root in his back pack and asked him what it was for. Our guide helped w/ the translation on this one. I was able to get as far as it is to help his stomach, but couldn't get the why. Apparently, his foster mom gave it to him to chew on (but not eat) to help calm his stomach. Eating and drinking cold foods apparently causes him indigestion. Going along w/ it while we're here, but that one's getting addressed by Dr. T when we get home. Our guide told us the same thing w/ Addie - that she probably won't like cold foods and drinks, but she quickly adapted. Jack seems to be more adamant about not even trying a sip of cold water and given that he was in the hospital a few years ago w/ stomach issues, we'll go along w/ it until we can confirm why and work on getting it properly addressed.
We received a small package of information from the orphanage w/ a few more pictures and medical updates. They also gave us a flash drive with pictures of group activities from the orphanage and him hanging out with some friends. They apparently put eye shadow on the boys who are dancing or participating in the programs. I will have to keep those pictures away from Carter because oh what fun he would have teasing him about that. Will have to have a chat about stage makeup and cultural differences because even I had a pretty good chuckle when I saw the pictures!
We also received a few notes about school. He is in grade 3 here. Not sure what that translates to in US schools. He does well in school, but a note from his teachers say they wish he'd be more focused. Seems like I may have a "class clown" on my hands. He has a very fun personality but what wonderful conversations those will be. I need him to be my focused child. :)
So happy to hear all is going well!! I can't recall if I mentioned going to the store (like walmart-not walmart) and getting a handheld chinese dvd player. Lin Lin was over the moon buying all the tv programs he used to watch on dvd. it was also great for the plane and also to help him go to sleep since it was in Chinese and he could fully undersatnd.
ReplyDeleteIf you need help in getting to Shenzhen or a translator while there contact the numbers I gave you or email me
shelli.hutchinson@me.com
The family is looking forward to seeing him. I have spoken to Lin Lin's foster family and Heng Bao knows that Lin Lin came back and it will be very disappointing to not have that closure. You will not regret going.
email if you need anything.
Shelli
shelli.hutchinson@mac.com
I was told to take ginger root for morning sickess. I guess it must work for other types of motion sicknesses too.
ReplyDeleteCongrats!! sounds like things are going well. very cool to look at the blog enjoy your time in China
ReplyDeleteBill Gray