Saturday, March 10, 2012

Saturday, March 10 - Herbal Market and Lucy's

Today, we visited the traditional Cantonese herbal market and pet street. It hasn't changed much since our last visit. Lots of items in bulk - pet food, fish, cats, dogs, aquarium supplies plus crazy herbs like snake skin, beef tendons, and sponge. Some how, we missed the "food" street as I lovingly refer to it - the wonderful place where you could get your live or nearly live daily meat. I didn't get to see the hanging raw meat out in the elements. Hmmmm...disappointed or not? I'm on the fence.

We had paperwork this afternoon. I got to spend a lovely hour filling out our last round of paperwork for the US Consulate. Our appointments are next week. We had 5 more Great Wall families join us as they just got in from other provinces. At least 2 are from the St. Louis / Columbia, MO area, and 1 is from Arkansas. We had our own little mid-west reunion going on. The breakfast area this morning was a bit crazy between our agency and Holt (another agency that's utilizing the same hotel). I feel bad for all the business people who happen to wander in to the middle of all these families. The hotel does a good job of trying to keep us segregated. All the crying babies and high chairs all in one section of the room. Of-course, that means I have to walk that much further to get to the "egg-man" who wasn't ready for me today. Actually had to wait for my over-medium eggs.

This evening, our "team" as Andrew has lovingly deemed us (the 4 families from Guangdong province) went out to dinner together at Lucy's on Shamain Island. Yum! I had a grilled cheese and fries. John thought I was crazy until I pointed out that Rebecca ordered the exact same thing! Thank you Rebecca for not making me look crazy! Although, I did steal a corner off of his steak when it arrived.

Well, it is now 11:35pm, and I have a 6:30am wake up call. I should be wrapping up all this blogging! We're off to the Chen Family temple and the government store for shopping in the morning with all 9 families. Monday, several of us are heading to the safari park - yippee! Hopefully, I'll get to check back in tomorrow night if I can kick my boys off of my machine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment