Adjusting back to the new time has been VERY rough! Carter slept with Addie on the first night and that seemed to go well, but everyone got up too early. John and I were up around 2am and started watching TV. John went downstairs to check on email at some point. I must have dozed back off, and the next thing I knew, Victoria was at the side of the bed telling me Addie wanted me. It was around 5:30am. By 10am, we were completely unpacked, breakfast done, and showered. John, Addie, and I ventured to Wal-Mart. I've decided that Bloomington's Wal-Mart on a Saturday is not busy - relative to the crowds we had just experienced! I'm sure I'll change my mind in a few weeks! While at the store, we had to get two new stepstools so Addie can reach stuff in the bathrooms. We have 2 already, but she needs help reaching everything so we've set up 2 stools in 2 bathrooms. We also had to get another baby gate to put at the top of our stairs. She's entirely too wobbly when she's tired, and given that she doesn't know the layout of the house yet... We had a hard time deciding on how to secure it since it's just two decorative posts. But, we ended up w/ a gate larger than the opening, and secured it w/ a cloth belt and bandana to keep from destroying the finish on the wood. Hopefully, we'll only need it for a few months.
The afternoon resulted in naps for everyone! I had to wake John up around 5pm, and everyone seemed a bit off kilter until after dinner. Addie got more comfortable with the dogs and actually started laughing at them when they played. After dinner, we went for a walk to our 2 neighborhood parks and hung out on the drive talking to neighbors for while. I think the walk refreshed us because it ended up being after 9pm before we went in to get ready for bed. I tried to stay up for the end of the NASCAR race, but the Nyquil I took finally kicked in. I managed to pass out until Victoria got up around 3am. She turned on the hall light which woke up Addie. Kristen got her a lullaby caterpillar that she started playing with. Ugh! I took her to the potty and put her back in bed. Figured she could sleep all night since she has for the last few weeks. About 30 minutes later, she was standing at the gate at our bedroom door (we have one there to keep the dogs contained in our room). I was impressed that she figured out how to get out of bed and find my room. She ended up sleeping with me until around 8am (I think). Everyone else was up, eating breakfast, and playing. I apparently am having the roughest time making the transition. After showering, I sat on the couch and passed back out. I didn't even care what was going on. John, Victoria, and Carter took turns playing and watching Addie.
I had to get up at one point to get after Addie. Not sure where it came from, but Victoria had out a watch band with lip gloss in it. She was going to go put it away because Addie was smearing it on her legs, and Addie didn't agree with what she was wanting to do. After V took it upstairs to her room, Addie was wanting to go get it, and after being told no several times, she stood about 3 stairs up wondering if she could get away with going on up. I walked over and turned her around to go back down the stairs. Fit ensued! She cried and cried over not being able to go up and get it. I think she tried to go up the stairs at least twice. On the third try, John let her walk up them, then when she couldn't find what she wanted, he brought her back down. I believe John's comment was that he couldn't imagine someone trying to adopt an older child who either hadn't had children before or had some sort of experience with them like a teacher. It would be very easy to fall in to a trap of letting her get her way on every thing right now since we're still getting adjusted, but we've got to start setting limits. If it's something we wouldn't let the other two get away with, then she's not going to either.
Well, I better wrap this up. It's the 4th of July, and we're heading to John's mom and dad's after nap time. Hopefully fireworks will still be a go later - a nice rain shower just came through.
Tomorrow starts my last full week off from work. Lawn work, bills, and doctor's appointments to start. I don't miss work at all. Not really looking forward to going back even if my first two weeks back will be half days from home. I've rather enjoyed "vacation". Been too busy to care about much else. Coming back to reality sucks!
No comments:
Post a Comment